Hyaluronic Acid vs Ascorbic Acid

ogre overlord

19 Dec, 2010 11:51 PM

Can you please explain why you recommend using ascorbic acid as an ingredient to preserve  hyaluronic acid and yet recommend limiting the use of. vitamin c because it is known to diminish the effects of HA? Sorry, but I am having a hard time figuring this out.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by James Coffey on 20 Dec, 2010 01:50 AM

Your question or comment: Can you please explain why you recommend using ascorbic acid as an ingredient to preserve hyaluronic acid and yet recommend limiting the use of. vitamin c because it is known to diminish the effects of HA? Sorry, but I am having a hard time figuring this out.

Response: Vitamin C, a.k.a. Ascorbic Acid is commonly used as a preservative in Hyaluronic Acid solutions. However, some studies and as well as some researchers believe this common practice to be problematic. How problematic this practice may be is debatable. These researchers believe that using ascorbic acid as a preservative in high concentrations can degrade, i.e. break down, the Hyaluronic Acid molecule. Whether this degradation of the HA molecule is significant enough to warrant that it is unfit for use as a preservative in HA solutions is also debatable. The way I see this debate is that the use of Ascorbic Acid in any specific situation might be warranted or unwarranted depending upon the circumstances. For example, let's say you are using a medium molecular weight HA such as we sell at 1.1 to 1.5 megadaltons and you added 2% ascorbic acid as a preservative and that ascorbic acid resulted in a degradation of the molecular weight of the HA to an average of 0.8 megadaltons. You'd actually have to pay a lot more for an HA with a lower molecular weight because these low or ultra low molecular weight HA powders sell at a significant premium because they are sought after by the dermaceutical markets for their higher bioavailability and absorption. But if you add too much ascorbic acid you might generate too many short chain HA molecules and lose significant benefits of the HA. Some of these conjectures and objections to ascorbic acid are conjectural and some are valid based upon objective analytical study. I apologize that I won't tell you what to do in this case but I will tell you that I have a lot of customers using ascorbic acid in their HA formulations and getting very good results.

Timothy McNulty
    PureBulk, Inc.
    1640 Austin Rd
    Roseburg, OR 97471

T: 541-679-1500
    F: 213-226-4677
    email: [email blocked]

2. James Coffey closed this discussion on 20 Dec, 2010 01:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac